Car accidents happen frequently, ranging from minor to serious. They can be stressful both emotionally and physically. If you have never been in an accident before, you may not know what to do if that ever may happen. These are the most important steps if you are ever in a car accident.
· Always stop after an accident, even if it is a minor one. Make sure that everyone in your vehicle is safe and then make sure everyone in the other vehicles involved is also safe. Be sure to put your emergency lights on so that other drivers can be cautious when driving nearby.
· Call the police and file a claim. If
you need to file an insurance claim due to damage, you will need the police report.
· Document the accident/take pictures. Most cell phones have a decent camera you can use in the event of vehicle damage due to an accident. Take pictures before the police arrive or directly after the police file a report. It is important to document the damage as soon after the accident as possible.
· Share information with everyone involved. This is important if the police do not respond to the accident because they will normally obtain the information of those involved.
· Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible.
· Keep all of your records from the accident- documents, photos, etc.- together in case you ever need them for any reason.
· It is important to also seek medical care if you are injured. If seriously injured, this should be your top priority.
It is important to keep calm after an accident. Follow these steps afterward. If you need a personal injury attorney, contact Nicole E Jackson, Law Firm if injured in an accident.